Buffalo Poverty Research Workshop II
Women and Homelessness
Friday, March 4, 2011
1:00 – 5:00 pm
St. Stanislaus R.C. Social Center
389 Peckham Street, Buffalo, NY 14206 (corner of Wilson St)
Keynote Address: Adversities, Challenges, Family Functioning, and Long-term Stability for Mothers and Children
Maureen Hayes, Senior Research Associate, National Center for Family Homelessness
- Kevin Blair, Professor of Sociology, Niagara University
- William O’Connell, HUD Region 2 Community Planning and Development Director
- Karen Carman, Director, Matt Urban HOPE Center
- Pathways to Progress
Monique Watts, Director of Development, and Ellen Grant, Board Member, WNY Women’s Fund
- Alternative Models for Women Confronting Poverty and Homelessness: Lessons from Carolyn’s House
Kathleen Granchelli, CEO, YWCA Niagara, with Lauren Breen, Professor and Director, Community Economic Development Clinic, University at Buffalo Law School and Suzanne Tomkins, Professor and Director, Women, Children, and Social Justice Clinic, University at Buffalo Law School
- Homelessness Among Women Ex-offenders: Crisis and Conflict
Teresa Miller, Professor, University at Buffalo Law School
- Preventing Homelessness: the Role of Community Health Workers
Jessica Walker, Director, Community Health Worker Network of Buffalo, and
Kenneth Gaston, Substance Abuse Counselor, GROUP Ministries Inc.
Networking Fair: An opportunity for tabling by community organizations and discussions with faculty, students, and others about research interests.
Sponsored by the Homeless Alliance of Western New York, National Center for Family Homelessness, Partnership for the Public Good, University at Buffalo UB2020 Civic Engagement and Public Policy research initiative, and Western New York Service Learning Coalition.
Cosponsored by University at Buffalo Gender Institute, and the WNY Women’s Fund.