- It’s Time to End New York State’s Empire Zone Program. Citizen’s Budget Commission (December 2008).
- Comptroller’s Empire Zone Report
- Comptroller’s Follow-Up Report (2007)
- Fiscal Policy Institute on Empire Zones
- Confessore, Nicholas. “State warns companies in tax deals.” NY Times, 7/31/07.
- Esmonde, Donn. “City’s gift to condos hurts us all.” Buffalo News, 5/16/07.
- Fairbanks, Phil. “City gives ten-year tax break to build condos: luxury units to sell for up to $695,000.” Buffalo News, 5/13/07.
- Heaney, James. “Empire Zone bill goes too far, critics say.” Buffalo News, 7/23/08.
- Lindstedt, Sharon. “Upscale townhouses get huge tax breaks.” Buffalo News, 4/25/07.
- New York Times Editorial. “The Other Scandal in Albany.” 8/5/07.
- Precious, Tom. “Empire Zone businesses being held accountable for job creation.” Buffalo News, 7/18/07.
- Precious, Tom. “State studies benefits of Empire Zone incentives.” Buffalo News, 3/1/07.
- Sax, George. “Friends With Benefits.” Artvoice, 3/13/08.
- Heaney, James. “Why handouts for hotels?” Buffalo News, 12/8/08.
Lindstedt, Sharon. “Hyatt needn’t repay $8 million in old city construction loans.” Buffalo News, 12/5/07.
- Robinson, David. “County IDA cuts Buffalo Hyatt a Break.” Buffalo News, 12/11/07.
Power Authority Subsidies
- Heaney, Jim. Power Failure. Buffalo News, Special Series (2008).
- Heaney, Jim. Alcoa bid for low-cost power called boggling. Buffalo News, 7/2/07.
–NYS Comptroller Reports on IDAs
- Annual Performance Report for Fiscal Year Ending 2007 (February 2009)
- Performance of Industrial Development Agencies (February 2008).
- Industrial Development Agencies in New York State: Background, Issues, and Recommendations. (2006).
- Industrial Development Agencies’ Project Approval, Evaluation, and Monitoring Efforts (2006).
–NYS IDA Reform
–WNY IDA Projects